Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Brownie


by Will Russel


The first brownie was made when a wife forgot to add leavening to her cake.  She did not want to admit her mistake so she called it a brownie cake and everyone loved it. The brownie then was more like a stale cake, because it was lacking important ingredients the brownie now has now.  But no one cared because it was new and exciting. It was made in Boston, Massachussetts, and put in a book by Fannie Merrite, a famous cook.


Fannie Merrite was a farmer that loved cooking and enjoyed writing books about her cooking. She was famous for her recipes with sour ginger bread.  That was the thing Fannie loved to make.  It was water and molasses mixed together and tasted sour and stale. The only 2 things that did not have molasses were her margaritas and her German cookies.  Instead she had coconut in them, and everyone agreed coconut was a healthy substitute.  It tasted nicer than sour gingerbread and it was very hard and crunchy.


The brownie we now know was made by Maria Howard.  It had extra fudge and 2 eggs just like today. The best brownie I have had was when we were in Boston, where the original one was made. The brownie I had was pure chocolate and tasted superb. It was just a little bit chewy. I was very surprised when I saw peanut butter brownies, I didn’t even know about different kinds of brownies.   Also I was amazed when I saw that Fannie made so many recipes, but the brownie was the most famous and the most delicious one of all. . I cannot wait until I eat a brownie again and then, I will remember all about how many changes the brownie has gone through and how it started, also how it is now. I predict the brownie will be the number 1 favorite dessert in the future.


4 comments:

  1. I never knew you knew so much about brownies. Very impressive! I just wish I had been with you in Boston to enjoy that brownie. It sounds like it was really good! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. While brownies are one of my favorite desserts, I never gave any thought to their history. It's interesting to know they are the result of a delicious baking accident. Thank you Will for this well researched and well written article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read you article, I thought it was superb! I really like your article and can't wait to read more from you!
    Matei

    ReplyDelete